Tuesday, April 20, 2010

All You Need Is Love

Hello friends! Yes, it's me and yes, I'm still alive. Besides just being plain ol' busy, our internet was also down for a little while. Boo! I never realized how much I relied on the internet until I was forced to go without. No fun at all. AND my darling grandmother is in the hospital. Not to worry... everything is under control. She's on the road to recovery and should be going home any day (though your prayers would be greatly appreciated). While I was thinking about her (and didn't have the internet sucking up way too much of my time) I decided to make a little something that I knew would make her smile.

Whenever we go to see her, her face just lights up at the sight of my son. I figured that a picture of his sweet little face would make some good company while she's away from all the comforts of home. My first thought was to decoupage some cutesy frame, but I couldn't find any to my liking at JoAnn's so I came up with this...

Cute, huh? The colors match her home so when they release her, she can find a nice, cozy spot for it in her casa and enjoy it for years to come. It was super easy too!

I found the board and stand at Joann's and had everything else at home. First, I spray painted the board. Once it was dry, I cut scrapbook paper to cover the front and used my handy, dandy Mod Podge to stick it on and then did the same with the photo I printed in sepia at home. You may recognize the photo from my previous post The Heart Of A Little Man. Yep... I photoshopped the food off of his face. Score! This was the first time I ever tried using Mod Podge on a photo and to be honest, I almost freaked out. When I applied the gluey mixture to the photo it started turning colors. I had to be careful not to brush over it too much, because the glue on top of it had turned purple and I was afraid of smearing the ink and messing up the photo (although I figured I had already ruined it). The purple then turned to green streaks (you can still see some of this in the photo) but once it dried completely, it was perfectly fine. Thank goodness! I traced two separate patterns for the flowers and put the pretty little stickers on top. Then... you guessed it... I Mod Podged those bad boys on too! After the whole thing dried with a nice, even coat of MP on top, I stamped "Love is all you need" to a piece of paper and glued it to the back of the silver book plate. The ribbon I attached it with was self-adhesive. You can pick up a little spool of it for a buck at JoAnn's in the scrapbook section. Because the book plate is a bit heavy, I did dab a little Elmer's glue under the ribbon for extra hold. That was it!

My grandmother loved this little thing and has it sitting beside her in her room. Hopefully it will make things a little brighter for her.

It would make a great Mother's Day gift too!

No comments:

Post a Comment