Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I Want Candy...

After a busy morning of lots of cleaning, some embroidering (working on a project that I'm hoping to be able to share next week), some eating, and some mommy-ing I took a trip to Jo-Ann's and came home with candy molds to make my own gummies!

While browsing the Not So Idle Hands blog by Emily, I came across a recipe for easy peasy gummy candy and couldn't wait to try it! (I do encourage you to jump on over to Emily's blog... her pictures are much prettier than mine ;0)


Ingredients:
2 three oz. packages of flavored Jello (I used raspberry)
6 envelopes of Knox unflavored gelatin
2/3 cup of cold water + half of 1/3 cup (Weird measurement, I know. Half of 1/3 cup could also be thought of as 2 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp.)
Candy molds


I used Emily's idea of mixing everything in my pyrex measuring cup to use later as my double-boiler. So first, you'll want to measure out your water and slowly add all the gelatin and Jello. Make sure you add just a little at a time and stir before adding more.

Once all the Jello and gelatin have been added, cover it and let it sit for 10 minutes. While it sits, you can start boiling some water in a pot. After the 10 minutes are up, it should be thick. (Ignore the disgusting hard water spots on my dish... should have hand washed it. Ick)

Eli wanted to be a good little helper, so he searched for the perfect pot...


Next, put the glass measuring cup into the simmering water and let the mixture melt. Make sure you don't cook or burn it... just melt it (hence the double-boiler).


After it's completely melted you can pour it into your molds. This is when having it in the measuring cup really helps! You'll want to be quick, because the goo will start to set in your measuring cup if it sits for too long.

Now you can put the molds in your freezer or refrigerator for 5 or 10 minutes to help them set faster. Once they've set completely, you just pull them right out of the molds. SO EASY!!




1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmm, i think it's time to make more at our house.....yours are making me hungry for gummies!! :) Thanks for the link-up!

    ReplyDelete