Besides going to Starkey Park for our play date which was so much fun that it was followed by a 3 1/2 hour nap (yes, yes... I love Tuesdays ;) I gave the little man some things to explore and discover. He loves going through the kitchen cabinets... particularly the ones that contain tupperware or pots and pans... so I put toys in each individual pot and pan for him to find. It kept him entertained for quite a while and I was able to get some cleaning done =)
Things I'm looking forward to:
Eli's little buddy Lennon is having his first birthday party this Saturday! Watching the little ones interact always brings a smile to face and Lennon's mommy is one of the sweetest women I know.
Also, I'm looking forward to seeing my in-laws on Thursday. I know, those words generally aren't all found in the same sentence but God truly blessed me by allowing me to marry into one of the greatest families ever. I love them like my own flesh and blood.
Words that keep going through my head:
"What can these poor hands lay at the feet of a king?" from the song You Are Good by Nicole Nordeman
Some things I did today to be a help meet to my man:
Cliff called me after work when he was close to home to tell me that he had a horrible day, was suffering from an intense headache, had lots of work to do when he got home, and was starving. I usually do not start making dinner until he gets home because a.) I never know how late he's going to be and b.) he hates reheated food/leftovers. So I quickly tidied up his desk, placed two Advil (is that plural or is it Advils??) next to a glass of water in the middle of his clean work space, and quickly whipped up some grub which was ready shortly after he walked through the door.
Later on, while he was working diligently to provide for our family, he sweetly asked if I would just throw a cup of water in the microwave so he could make himself some instant coffee. He was trying to be nice and not ask for something that would take much time away from whatever I was in the middle of doing. Instead, I made him a cup of his favorite tea. It made him smile, which made my heart happy. Sometimes it's the little things.
"A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones." ~Proverbs 17:22
Things I am thankful for:
1. God is so good and always provides. While we shouldn't be able to make our bills, somehow we always get by.
2. I seriously have the most amazing family and I love them so much!
3. My mac. I know it sounds ridiculous and possibly shallow to say, but I seriously love it and hope I never have to go back to using a pc. Ever. (Plus I know that this comment will score major points with my hubby, lol)
4. The glorious weather we've been having. I don't want it to ever leave.
5. Serving a God that cares about the smallest details of my life.
6. The comfort of p.j.'s and fuzzy socks.
Moments that made me smile:
1. Maybe I'm the only one that does this, but sometimes I just have these times when I think to myself: "Oh my goodness, I am SUCH a mom!" Like it's some huge revelation. I had one of those today as I was making Cliff's salad for lunch tomorrow. When I make salads for Cliff or myself, I usually leave the skin on the cucumbers to add some crunch (and vitamins) and I cut them into bigger chunks. When I cut them for Eli I always take the skin off and cut them into tiny little pieces. After being lost in my own thoughts, I came to the realization that I had cut up the cucumber as if I was making food for my son. Because being a mom has become so natural to me. It amazes me that I am where I am today... when just over a year ago I was struggling to make the transition from being a selfish individual to being a selfless mother.
2. A friend of mine mentioned that if you go to Starbucks today, you get a free pastry with the purchase of a coffee. I had been craving a good cup o' joe and hate to pass up freebies, so I headed down to the local Starbucks where I was informed that the freebie deal ended at 11 am. It was 5 pm. Fortunately for me, the kind barista gave it to me anyway. Good times =)