Things I'm thankful for:
1. All of the men and women who have actively fought so that someone like me can live a life of liberty.
2. The things that my son unknowingly teaches me. The things that I never could have learned without becoming a mother.
3. Knowing that I have such an amazing creator... that this life didn't happen by chance and I'm not alone in it. My God cares about every aspect of my life. My God knew the number of hairs on my head before I was ever born. My God hears me when I pray. My God provides for me, like an earthly father provides for his children. My God is patient. My God loves me like no one else.... even when I'm not so lovable. How could I be anything but thankful?
Something I'm looking forward to:
Celebrating our independence tonight with some old friends!
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." - Ronald Reagan
"O, thus be it ever when freemen shall stand,
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause, it is just
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!" -Francis Scott Key (Star-Spangled Banner)
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." -United States Declaration of Independence
Things that made me smile this week:
1. Friday night while watching a movie, Eli cuddled up next to me and brushed my hair with a wooden spoon.
2. After playing in the rain yesterday, my husband started telling me how great he thinks I am at being a mother, because while he's thinking about getting in from the rain, I'm thinking of experiencing it. He said he's glad that I let our son experience things. It meant a lot to me :)
3. Hearing Eli say "pacifier" over and over. I don't know if it's because he's excited that he can say such a big word or because he can finally tell us what he wants. Either way, it sure is cute... sounds more like "fuh-fire." I know what you mean kiddo...
4. Talking to my step-sister in North Carolina. I haven't talked to her in a long time, but we recently spent some time catching up through facebook. Even though we are several years apart and haven't talked in years, it was refreshing to see that we had so much in common and could find comfort in each other regarding some things we've both had to face.
Ice cream cones. Preferably soft-serve in a cake cone. Something about the last bite where the ice cream gets stuck in the little holes in the bottom of the crispy cone that brings so much delight to my world :)
Bugs. Not that I've ever liked them, but now that it's raining so much, we're seeing a lot of them and it's reminding me just how much I dislike them. It's a lot.
Something I've realized:
I've always had certain people that I've looked up to. Those people that I look at and think, "I wish I could be like them." But I've realized that I've come to a point in my life where I don't think that anymore. I know who I am, and I like being me. I am bubbly and happy, but I'm not naive. I'm growing more and more patient over time. I struggle with being compassionate, but I'm always trying to get better. I am opinionated, but never rude. I am quick to love. I am loyal and once I've made a real friendship, it will never fade... no matter how little I see or talk to the person. I am silly and clumsy. I try to make the best out of bad situations. I love to laugh, even if it's at myself. I am awkward. I talk a lot, but usually know when to keep my mouth shut. I have no desire to be involved in gossip. I have integrity. I am confident and insecure. I believe I have been given the gift of encouragement. I love making people feel good and giving them reasons to smile. I am a glass-half-full person. I am an overachiever when it comes to things I'm interested in, and believe that I can do anything that I want to do. I am sensitive to others' feelings. I am strong. I appreciate honesty. I love life, and want to live it to the fullest with the people I love the most. I am a constant work in progress.
Favorite blog post I came across this week:
Creative Urges shared a great tutorial on making a Placemat Scripture Bag/Tote Bag that is just darling!
"My Brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways." - James 1:2-8
I hope you all have a happy and safe 4th of July!